SawFish (soapbox) vs. Enlightenment

sinck@corp.quepasa.com sinck@corp.quepasa.com
Sun, 28 May 2000 16:53:57 -0700 (MST)

\_ [...] a window manager called SawFish.
\_ I'd read about the window manager in the past, but never bothered trying
\_ it since it was partially implemented in a variant of lisp and I suspected
\_ that it would be slow.
\_
\_ It's actually quite good.  For me, it's faster than enlightenment, and
\_ is lacking some of enlightenment's bugs that were fairly annoying
\_ to me.

The one that prevented me from using the eyecandy window manager at
work was inability to chord ctrl-meta-shift-mod4 with the mouse keys.
Sure, if you like the bindings there, then it rocks.  But when you
really want to say c-m-s-m4 button4 and have it pop resolutions for
you, the last time I checked, it couldn't do that.  vtwm which I've
been using, well, since x11r3 days (*ahem*), supports arbitrary
mappings/chordings....  And at home, E was to expensive on my p120.
(Shhh, I know, I know.)

\_ Anyway, I recommend SawFish for those of you who like enlightenment,
\_ but are fed up with some of its bugs and/or slowness.  (Upgrading
\_ to Gnome 1.2 is also recommended.)

sawfish rocks.

But I'm prejudiced, since my first 'real' programming language was
Scheme, a deritive (sp?) of Lisp.  Besides the enherit coolness of
using (lisp) again, it's easily extendable.  (Unlike vtwm, and
probably a host of others.)  Um, sorry, 'extendable without
recompiling the main binary'.

The default release of sawfish (0.27.2 at time of typing) does not
have a resize mode that draws outlines they way I expect them
(perimiter of window + a cross from corner-corner).  10-20 lines of
easy lisp later...poof.  It's in.  It's configurable in the
configurator-bob.

On #sawfish someone mentioned that he'd really like to see the
technical mode for E ported.  I had that mostly implemented in 1/2
hour.  The finishing touches are being worked out RSN.

And because, just because, I'm likely to code an 'ellipitcal resizer'
where the corners of the window being resized/moved intersect an
ellipse.

All without touching the main binary.

Like emacs, but for window managers.

Oh, and it has a shell interface as well.

http://sawmill.sourceforge.net/

(sawfish was formerly called sawmill)

David
ps: the horror stories of paren use in Lisp are true.  After my first
CS course, I could hit '(' and ')' 100% accuracy no looking.  I had to
do a visual scan for the '9' and the '0' however.