Linux Programmer

Mark Peoples hondaman@mainex1.asu.edu
Thu, 25 May 2000 13:31:08 -0700

\_ Ok "Holy War Armor"...  Have you ever tried to create a data structure,
or
\_ class in Basic (not the visual one)?  If you can not create nice
structures
\_ you are left with using globals (yuck).

ew...VB...you touched me with VB.  Eewwww...make my holy armor all
tarnished.   I can't say as that I have done more than mock VB as VB.
VBScript (a similar, headles beast, with all the gooey ripped out) I
have experience with.  I alternate between mocking VBscript and
wishing it didn't have the dumb requirement of continuing _
programming statements with _
when they wrap lines.

David...not towards you...just some comments that have stuck out throughout
the thread. =)

How about array elements going from 1 to n?  Who thought of that? When I
didn't see any ;s, I freaked out...then I came across the For loops. Nasty.

Personally, I don't care what language is used, as long as it does what it
is supposed to do, and it is well commented so, if needed, it can be
modified easily, later. I don't care if the code looks 'nice', although
making things easier to read makes it easier to code and debug. If a
person/company wants to use ASP or JSP instead of PHP, that's fine. If they
blunder the code and make it next to impossible to go in and change things
around, that's their problem, not the problem of the language, although some
languages are, what's the word, 'destined'? to make code look nasty. Would
using PHP have made a difference in how they managed to fubar the code? I
doubt it.

As for not using a language because of the developer of it...

Use the best tool for the job...that's how I go about projects, and so far,
it's worked pretty damn well for me. By restricting yourself to non-MS
influenced languages because of a gripe with MS...Al Martino says: "To each
his own.".