Small sparc distributions ??

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 24 May 2000 21:32:44 -0700

Both my Sparcs run Debian Potato.
You only need the contents of:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-sparc/current
to do the base 10MB install with "boot net".

Then apt does the rest.

One trick is to nfs mount a really big disk drive where apt
will download the files to install.
That way you can do an install like I did on my laptop with a 400MB
hard drive and have plenty of room to work in.

My SPARC installs took me about 2 hours because the serial interface
is slooooooooowwwwwww.

It seems like on Wed, May 24, 2000 at 09:10:45PM -0700, Kevin O'Connor scribbled:
Orig Msg> I recently picked up a 'lunch box'. (Sparcstation LX) Are there any
Orig Msg> small linux distributions available for the sparc ? I'm looking for
Orig Msg> something I can download over a SLOW dialup connection.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Thanks,
Orig Msg> --
Orig Msg> Kevin O'Connor
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits,
Orig Msg> but not when it misses.
Orig Msg>                 -- Francis Bacon
Orig Msg>

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com, TheLinuxLab.com, LinuxWired.net
480-778-1120 - Office
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular
ICQ:  8137851