sun sparc

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 24 May 2000 19:23:54 -0700

...teach a man to fish....

http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/solaris/FAQS/solaris2.html
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/interfaces.html

JLF Sends...

It seems like on Wed, May 24, 2000 at 06:56:53PM -0700, Mike Starke scribbled:
Orig Msg> Hope this isn't too off topic (it is a *nix).
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I have just aquired a Sun Ultra Sparc that I need the readers
Orig Msg> digest version on how to get the ethernet interface settings
Orig Msg> changed.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> My linux knowledge is only carrying me so far :-(
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I have issued the command:
Orig Msg> ifconfig hme0 down <- it dropped the current interface
Orig Msg> I then tried:
Orig Msg> ifconfig hme0 192.168.4.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.4.255
Orig Msg> ifconfig hme0
Orig Msg> It appears as if the settings I added worked.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I then tried:
Orig Msg> route add default gw 192.168.4.1
Orig Msg> It did not like that or any combination of the above line.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I then telnet'd to my ISP to fire up Pine and ask you
Orig Msg> fine folks what to do.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I am sure I can dig around, do some grepping and find
Orig Msg> the files (possibly under /etc/inet/ ?) to edit the files
Orig Msg> and reboot.  Which I will eventually have to do. I also
Orig Msg> would like to know the ifconfig and route commands to throw at
Orig Msg> it on the fly.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I am logged in as root on a serial terminal and my
Orig Msg> vi <filename> pulls up many files as read-only
Orig Msg> (i.e. inetd.conf, hosts, etc) Is it normal to have
Orig Msg> 444 as the perms on the file? Should I just toggle
Orig Msg> over to chmod 644 <filename>, make the edits, then
Orig Msg> chmod 444 <filename>?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Many questions I have, Hope this is not off topic to prohibit
Orig Msg> me from geting help.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Mike
Orig Msg> mgcon@getnet.com
Orig Msg> http://www.getnet.com/~mgcon
Orig Msg> Phoenix, AZ
Orig Msg> USA
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com, TheLinuxLab.com, LinuxWired.net
480-778-1120 - Office
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular
ICQ:  8137851