secure FTP

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 24 May 2000 16:56:53 -0700

It seems like on Wed, May 24, 2000 at 03:14:53PM -0700, Joel Dudley scribbled:
Orig Msg> I was wondering if this was possible.  I need to send sensitive information
Orig Msg> over FTP (yeah I know that sounds dumb but work with me here people).  Is
Orig Msg> there a way to forward FTP data (from a windows computer) to a linux ssh
Orig Msg> server??  The windows computer would be using an ftp client and the ssh
Orig Msg> transfer would have to act as a transparent proxy when it forwards.  Anyone
Orig Msg> know if this is possible??  Thanks.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> - Joel
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>

1. Install TeraTerm SSH or putty or some decent Windows SSH software.

Do the Windows equiv of:

ssh -L 1500:ftp.thelinuxhosttoget.to:21 thelinuxhosttoget.to

This will create the encrypted session directly to the box you are
going to ftp from/to.

2.  Use PASV for ftp and set this up in Windows
    ( don't know the Win point and click procedure )

3. on the Windows machine ftp to localhost port 1500
   and you are all set.

Or on the linux host do:

ssh -R 21:the windowsbox:1500 some_secure_SSH_machine_inside_your_local_LAN

The do steps #2 and #3.

Have fun.

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO MagusNet, Inc.
MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
CTO EBIZ Enterprises, Inc.
TheLinuxStore.com, TheLinuxLab.com, LinuxWired.net
480-778-1120 - Office
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular
ICQ:  8137851