Linux Job Order

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 17:24:49 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Lucas Vogel wrote:

> From my experience w/contracting and the employers who hire them, the
> 3 keys to successful employment are brevity, brevity and brevity. The
> employers that IT firms often recruit for are very fickle and look at
> resumes very briefly. Keeping your resume size to 1 page, highlighting
> experiences that are most applicable to the job being applied for, is
> what they're looking for. Employers quickly get turned off on
> voluminous(is that a word?) resumes with years and years of experience
> that they have to sort through to find out whether you have the skills

Ah that's bad presentation. If you can get through HR to the engineering
managers, then the longer resume can be a big bonus. You still need to
find a way to emphasize the skills they're looking for ( or the work
conditions you're willing to accept, depending on your skills and the type
of employer you're looking for :). I've only got experience with a couple
of places, but in engineering they wanted more info, the spec if you will
:). Also, if there were things left unanswered in the resume, the managers
wanted to know the missing details. If you feel confident about your
interview skills it's a way to shine :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans