Linux Job Order

Lucas Vogel lvogel@exponent.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 13:10:31 -0700

From my experience w/contracting and the employers who hire them, the 3 keys
to successful employment are brevity, brevity and brevity. The employers
that IT firms often recruit for are very fickle and look at resumes very
briefly. Keeping your resume size to 1 page, highlighting experiences that
are most applicable to the job being applied for, is what they're looking
for. Employers quickly get turned off on voluminous(is that a word?) resumes
with years and years of experience that they have to sort through to find
out whether you have the skills they're looking for or not. Of course, on
the flip side you could omit something that they're looking for too, but the
surefire way to their hearts and their payrolls is to present a very brief
resume that's short, sweet and very 'to-the-point'.

My $.02

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Buettner [mailto:kev@primenet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2000 12:49 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Linux Job Order

On May 23, 11:30am, Anthony Walsh wrote:

> As a recruiter I do work with people that are 40+ in years.  If I
> have one suggestion to people who fall into that category(40+) it
> would be to only list what you've done in the last 5 to 6 years.
> What disqualifies many of my 40+ candidates is a resume that has 15
> to 20+ years experience working with computers.

Why does 15-20 years of experience disqualify someone?  Is it that the
technologies listed by the applicant are perceived to be out of date?
Or is it that people with that much experience expect more compensation?
(Or something else entirely?)

I ask because I'm rapidly approaching being in the 40+ category...

Kevin

--
Kevin Buettner
kev@primenet.com, kevinb@redhat.com