Linux Programmer Job Order

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Tue, 23 May 2000 03:00:43 -0700

On May 22,  4:29pm, Anthony Walsh wrote:

> Well, there it is!  I hope that one of you guys can give me a hand,
> finding a Linux programmer in Arizona is like finding a beachfront
> property in Phoenix.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any
> questions, or suggestions.

Look for people with Unix experience.  There are a lot of them
around; it's just that a fair number of them have likely undergone
some amount of retraining for Windows.

Asking on this list is also a good idea, because there are quite a
few people on this list with an intense desire to learn Linux and
learn it well.  Even if some of these folks lack the requisite
experience, they'll likely more than make up for it in their eagerness
to learn.

On May 22,  4:34pm, Lucas Vogel wrote:

> Sometimes trying to get 1-2 years of Linux programming experience is like
> trying to find beachfront property in Phoenix too...

Again, look for jobs that will give you Unix experience.  Or look for
sysadmin type jobs and use your position to introduce Linux into the
company.  Or if you have a job doing C/C++ development, you may be
able to do at least some of the development on Linux.

I've been able to use Linux (in one way or another) to do the bulk of
my work in the last five or so years.  (Even when I was developing a
JIT compiler for Java that ultimately had to run on MacOS.  I did the
development on Linux/PPC first and had some of my more Mac-savvy
colleages help me port to MacOS later on.)

--
Kevin Buettner
kev@primenet.com, kevinb@redhat.com