samba and NT

Joel Hanger jhanger@uswest.net
Fri, 19 May 2000 13:45:45 -0700

Has anyone had success in integrating win2k with samba? As far as I know
Samba doesn't support browsing user lists and I have a 2000 computer set
up haven't had any success in integrating the two...

Thanks,
  Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Craig
White
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 1:40 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: samba and NT

When I have a Windows NT Domain controller on the network...

My smb.conf has...

security = domain
password server = FRED #netbios name of NT Domain controller
wins support = no
domain logons = no
workgroup = WORKGROUP #whatever the name of the domain is
netbios name = BARNEY
OS level = 20
domain master = no
preferred master = no
encrypted passwords = yes

You MUST have an account for "BARNEY" (the netbios name of your Samba
computer) whatever it is. I would suggest that you make it a 'trusted
machine' account instead of a user account. This setup would allow two way
access with the samba server and its shares and use the NT domain controller
to approve / disapprove.

Note - this works well as long as the NT Domain controller is on the same
subnet. If not...you'll have to play with the routing.

Too much of a fight to get it to work (requires editing your registry)
without password encryption.

Craig

- Craig White - PO Box 8634 - Scottsdale, Arizona - 85252
- e-mail address ................ - CraigWhite@AzApple.com
- world wide web address ........ - http://www.AzApple.com
- e-mail my pager address ....... - 6023779752@airtouch.net
- cellular phone ................ - (602) 377-9752
- voice/facsimile ............... - (480) 945-8445