linux newbie having problems

Patrick Stoddard wd9ewk@yahoo.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 08:15:09 -0700 (PDT)

Comments at the bottom......

--- jiva@devware.com wrote:
> ISA cards are a pain.  I'd suggest getting a PCI card if possible.
> It
> should function exactly the same as your ISA card in terms of
> connectivity to COX@HOME.
>
> Alternatively, you can load the kernel module for the card manually
> and pass it parameters on loading.  This is fairly distribution
> specific in how you do it.
>

> On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 01:38:37PM -0700, David Saunders wrote:
> > having a problem getting linux to see my network adapter after the
> install.
> > my system dual-boots linux and windows 2k and i am able to connect
> while in
> > windows.  i have cox@home internet service and have a 3Com
> Etherlink III ISA
> > model # 3c509b adapter.  i have tried many times to get it to work
> and am
> > still unable to.  any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I have found that, for Linux, the 3C5x9 cards (3C509 or 509B, among
other variants) seem to work better in Linux if you have set the card
to a specific memory port and IRQ rather than let it go Plug-n-Pray.
You can get a 3c5x9-utils package to do this directly under Linux, or
you can download the 3C5X9CFG DOS program from 3Com, boot with a DOS
or Windows boot floppy, and let that program set the port and IRQ
numbers.  Make a note of the settings that the program used for the
card, in case you need to put that in the Linux system.

I built a firewall out of a 486/133 system, used a 3C905B PCI card to
connect to the home LAN (since it is on a 100Mbps switch) and the
3C509B card connects to the cable modem (since the cable modem is
only 10Mbps), and it works fine.  I don't have to pass the port/IRQ
settings to the kernel when the system boots up, it finds those on
its own and it works fine.  This system was built from spare parts,
otherwise I would have probably followed the suggestions and used
2 PCI cards - like I did on a firewall I built for my office.

HTH

Patrick Stoddard