linux newbie having problems

Bob George plug@bobspc.dhs.org
Wed, 17 May 2000 15:07:25 -0700

"David Saunders" <dsaund2112@home.com> wrote:

> having a problem getting linux to see my network adapter after the
install.
> my system dual-boots linux and windows 2k and i am able to connect while
in
> windows.  i have cox@home internet service and have a 3Com Etherlink III
ISA
> model # 3c509b adapter.  i have tried many times to get it to work and am
> still unable to.  any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I also found it helped to disable PnP mode on the 3C509b and set it to
"known good" settings. Just use the DOS utility diskette that should've come
with your adapter, or download it from 3COM's web page. I believe the
utility is called 3c5x9cfg.exe or something similar.

Good luck!

- Bob
 (Also user of 3C509b on @Home)