stand-alone routers vs. IPMASQ

Donn Shumway DShumway@hypercom.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 13:58:13 -0700

Hello to all. Does anyone have any experience with standalone
router/firewalls for home use? I am thinking of reclaiming my P-133
currently being used as a MASQ server to use for intranet and WEB page
development and would prefer that it not also be the MASQ server. I have
been looking for a standalone router/firewall and am looking at the Linksys
BEFSR41 'EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4 10/100 Switched Ports'. It seems
to solve a lot of issues as well as including the 10/100 switched ports (to
replace my current 10baseT hub).

System details. Speedchoice one-way full-time internet connection shared by
five PC's, three running Winders (family machines) and two running Linux,
one a Pentium133, the other a K6-II 450. I want to run Oracle on the K6-II
(using windows Oracle Tools for educational purposes - I use them at work),
and use the Apache server (and learn Zope, etc.) on the P133. I would
prefer to not build another PC (my wife just could'nt understand another
one!). The Cable/DSL router seems a good compromise and provides some
similar and seemingly extensive control (not up to par with IPCHAINS but
close). I would also realize a 10/100 Switch in the process to speed up
connection between machines. The switch alone  costs ~$100 and I already
have 10/100 NICs in all the machines. I realize the additional speed would
not significantly effect browsing the internet, but it would dramatically
speed up file transfers and intranet gaming speed. I have found the LinkSys
Router onn the net for $158 with free shipping. SOunds like I can't lose.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions (or warnings).

Regards,
Donn Shumway
dshumway@hypercom.com
"Sarcasm is the safe alternative to expressing anger."
--Richard North Patterson