PHP and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 (SQL Server) Assistance needed

Carl Parrish cparrish@computerprep.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 20:20:58 -0700

I didn't see this earlier but perhaps I can still be of assistance.
Generally speaking you want to approach the two environments differently.

On a NT box I find it *much* easier to use the ODBC library of function with
a DSN connection.

On the Linux side you want to use the MSsql library of functions which if
you are running PHP 3.* requires you to build PHP differently

you must build PHP with Sybase support to get MSSQL working. Like so -

./configure --with - sybase =/opt/Sybase-11.9.2/

You can get the required "Adaptive Server Enterprise" Sybase RPMs from

http://www.sybase.com/products/databaseservers/linux/

You should then put any MSSQL database you want to connect to in the
/opt/sybase-11.9.2/interfaces file, in the format

MSSQL_HOST
    query tcp ether IP_OR_FQDN PORTNUMBER

Where you of course replace PORTNUMBER with your port number (usually 1433)

Also make sure you create a  environment variable for Sybase like this

Sybase = /path/to/intf-file

Then in your code call it like so

mssql_connect("MSSQL_HOST","username","Password") or die("Connection
error");

well that's everything I wrote down when I was trying to get this to work.
This should work with PHP 3.* and MS-SQL 6.5 have no idea about PHP 4.0 /
MS-SQL 7.0.

Hope this helps.

Carl Parrish
Webmaster