SQL

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 18:44:16 -0700

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 11:27:02AM -0700, Don Harrop wrote:
> I've got a web site that I need to start hosting that is using MySQL.  I'm
> kinda new to this SQL database stuff.  I know that a RH6.1 install I have
> has a postgreSQL server (installed but not running).  Do these two different
> SQL Servers use the same database structure?  Is MySQL better than

mySQL is known for being fast; PostgreSQL is older, more mature, more
full-featured, and truly free software under all circumstances.  So
usually I would pick PostgreSQL as "better" unless speed is more important
than quality.

There was a slashdot article about this a few days ago...

> postgreSQL?  If anyone has any books or links that I could get more
> information from I would appreciate it.

PostgreSQL comes with a tutorial that really does start at square one.
I recommend that as a starting point.  Also there is an old book by
C. J. Date that was my introduction to SQL in general; his case study
of how he used a TRS-80-based SQL database to manage his wine cellar
was classic.  :-)  It's called Database: A Primer.  Several chapters of
it are quite worth reading, other parts are completely irrelevant
(how to use older systems like QBE).

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org