Kerberos - Enough Already

Mike Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 17:47:58 -0700

OK, maybe FUD is a bit strong. However, I see a definite trend where
anything negative said about M$ is taken as absolute gospel, without
checking the validity of the statement. This is very much the same
accusations that the community makes of M$ themselves.

If someone was to go into that presentation spouting off about how M$'s
Kerberos implementation was breaking standards, they'd likely have been
severely embarrased, and would definitely have IMPROVED M$'s standing.

Slashdot is entertaining as all get-out. But it's not journalism, and should
not be used as factual for anything other than community opinion. Facts on
Slashdot are few and far between.

The ONLY thing that Clifford Neuman criticised about M$'s implemetation of
Kerberos was their lack of public documentation, which M$ has recently
addressed. The conditions under which they have released it are really the
only thing left to bitch about.

As in programming, facts are either true or false, and all facts are false
until PROVEN true. When I write consumer apps, I assume their input is
complete crap until I have proven otherwise. Only once the input has been
proven true will I place it into the database. The same holds true when I'm
not programming. When someone tells me something is a fact, and I plan on
using that information, I research it until I prove it true. If I cannot
prove it true, it is at best only an opinion.

Sigh...

I hate being in the position of defending M$.

Michael J. Sheldon
Internet Applications Developer
Phone: 480.699.1084
http://www.desertraven.com/