looking for embedded systems information

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 16:10:07 -0400

I think your choices are right on the money.
Especially with Stevens.

The Wolf

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Ambrose [mailto:rna@testpt.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 8:02 AM
To: 'plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us'
Subject: RE: looking for embedded systems information

He's one of the (IMHO) top authors on the topic of programming.  Especially
in
the area of C and C++ libraries.  Two of his books are "The Standard C
Library"
and "The (draft) Standard C++ Library".  He's also done zillions of columns.

Since I'm on the topic (books are one of my passions in life), here a
very incomplete list (it's really just a list of my personal favorites)
of other well respected authors in the field:

Donald Knuth - "The Art of Computer Programming".  The god father of
computer programming.  A bit difficult to read.

W Richard Stevens - "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" is a must
read for serious UNIX C programmers.  If you're serious into network
programming,
"TCP/IP Illustrated" series is a worthwhile.  (I only said worthwhile
because
there are so many good network programming books out there, Stephen A Rago
"UNIX System V Network Programming" is one excellent example.)  Stevens also
has another series "UNIX Network Programming", which is worthwhile looking
at.  Sadly, he passed away a couple of years ago, *sniff*.  A bit of trivia
for computer book junkies like me: Stevens lived in Tucson.

Maurice Bach - "The Design of the UNIX Operating System".  When this came
out it caused a lot of excitement amongst UNIX geeks.  It was the 'source'
for programmers who didn't have access to the source code (I was one of
the lucky ones).  UNIX System V was closed source, even BSD needed a very
expensive license.

Bjarne Stroustrup - "The C++ Programming Language".  The father of C++.
Also difficult to read.

Kernighan and Pike - "The UNIX Programming Environment".  16 years old and
still worth reading.  It's the introduction on the 'UNIX way' of
programming.

Kernighan and Richie - "The C Programming Language".  There's not much I
can say except that it's THE C book.  Also known as "K&R".

This could go on forever (like the last Batman movie), but I'm spending to
much time on this already and it's been done many times before.

One last one:

Uyless Black - He does books on communication technologies.  For me, he's
starting to rank up there with Stevens.  "Advanced Internet Technologies"
and "PPP and L2TP Remote Access Communications" are excellent reading.
He also did two reference books which I find very useful: "The V Series
Recommendations" and "The X Series Recommendations".

rna