Kppp modem lock file

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Tue, 9 May 2000 14:54:06 -0400

Modem lock file is created in /var/run directory.
check the premission on the directory.
check if you can write to the directory

Example:
touch /var/run/x

if this gives you an error it means you
do not have premission to write to /var/run

The Wolf

-----Original Message-----
From: Clayton Stapleton [mailto:vernon@impulsedata.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 11:25 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Kppp modem lock file

Thanks to Jiva and The Wolf got ppp working. Now it is Kppp
that is giving problems. Am using RedHat 6.2 on a Pentium 450Mh,
128 MB RAM. While in KDE and select Kppp from the popup
menu all that is displayed is a box asking for the root password. The
box disappears and nothing happens  so I guess that it is a RedHat
problem. From the CLI I type in /usr/sbin/kppp and get the box
for initiating Kppp and then select connect. All that happens is a box
the says "Sorry, can't create modem lock file." and thetas is it. How
is the "modem lock file" created?
Clay Stapleton