Changing the IP & Hostname

Kevin O'Connor kevin_oconnor.geo@yahoo.com
Tue, 02 May 2000 00:55:56 -0700

I think what you want is : netcfg
Be sure you invoke it from a terminal window running under X. You need
to run it as root also.....

Kevin

Datawolf wrote:

> Change your IP and related info in:
>    /etc/sysconfig/network
>    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* (e.g. ifcfg-eth0)
>    /etc/hosts
>
> Change your hostname in:
>    /etc/sysconfig/network
>    /etc/hosts
>    /etc/HOSTNAME
> and run "hostname MYNEWNAME".
>
> Note that RedHat will determine your domain name from your /etc/hosts
> file.
>
> <editorial>
> Seems to me they keep the hostname info in way too many places.
> </editorial>
>
> -BVG
>
> AZ Pete wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I have a RedHat 6.0 system, that I must change both the hostname and IP on.
> > Can someone tell me all the relevant files that I must change this info in?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter

Kevin O'Connor

"Waving away a cloud of smoke, I look up, and am blinded by a bright,
white
light. It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God.
In
a booming voice, He says: "THIS IS A SIGN. USE LINUX, THE FREE UNIX
SYSTEM
FOR THE 386."
(Matt Welsh)