adding new hard drive

Jason Brown vafudar@earthlink.net
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 20:08:37 -0700

Just a little safeguard in case Murphy is visiting....

When you create replacement partitions such as /home in this example, mount
the new drive and format as recommended, copy the files over to the new
partition, and then umount the old partition.  Do not delete anything in it
yet.  Umount the new partition from the temporary location and remount it to
the new location such as /home.  Edit the fstab as needed.

As you will be mounting any replaced mount points, you can still have acces to
the old files if something was missed during the copy.

You can also create a non-standard mount point.  I use /backup and /aux (for
auxillary) quite a bit.  In /aux I usually have mp3's, miscellanous files, and
vmware virtual disks.

Jason Brown