qmail-smtpd problem was:Re: Email plug meeting

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:38:25 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Nick Estes wrote:

> I've done some poking around on the mail server in question, and here's
> the main piece of information that seems to narrow it right down to a
> qmail problem (or things immediately affecting qmail):  When logged into
> the mail server, telnet localhost smtp comes up right away, and the
> server behaves fine, but telnetting to it's external IP doesn't.  It
> hangs for about a minute and then finally responds (which is the same
> behaviour they are seeing from the outside).  So it's not a network
> related problem, and no other services on the box are affected by it, so
> it has to be something qith qmail-smtpd (or tcpserver, since this is the
> only thing tcpserver is managing).

OK, if this is the only thing tcpserver it taking care of, check that
tcpserver isn't horking on dns lookups or some such. Also try launching
qmail in daemon mode and leaving tcpserver out of the equation.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com                  www.excelco.com #