Ashamed

Bob George r1gaiasmxg2npayqoejzl@lpwa.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:17:41 -0700

"arson smith" <arsonsmith@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe we should have a PLUG meeting covering email
> server software.  This is something I would be really
> interested in learning a little about.  I too have
> tried to setup sendmail and qmail both.  For some
> reason both seemed more complex then they needed to
> be but I know there is a lot more to email than I
> am considering.

I've been lurking as the recent sendmail config questions have gone by. Now
I do own the bat book, and I'm a pretty sharp guy. Nonetheless, it didn't
take me long to realize there's a lot more the sendmail expertise than I
want to know (just too busy keeping up with networks these days).

I was fortunate enough to stumble up some documentation in the RedHat manual
that referenced the use of config files under /etc/mail. In recent versions,
I just edit the /etc/mail/config file to handle relaying and run make and
I'm done. No M4 expertise and other (to me) black magic required. Editing
that file seems a bit more straightforward and less error-prone than
hand-editing the actual sendmail config files.

Is this not a sendmail standard? It seems straightforward enough, and has
passed the relay checks that I ran on it.

Any info or englightenment appreciated! I do agree that MTAs would be a good
meeting topic.

- Bob