Kernel is missng ipchains.

Mike Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:34:50 -0700

The RedHat kernels have IPchains compiled in.

Though from what I've seen, the RedHat kernels seem to have *everything*
compiled in. :)

Michael J. Sheldon
Internet Applications Developer
Phone: 480.699.1084
http://www.desertraven.com/
PGP Key Available on Request

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Kevin
Brown
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2000 11:15
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Kernel is missng ipchains.

Most default kernels do not have the firewall options enabled.  Your best
bet is
to download the latest 2.2.x kernel from www.kernel.org (or Suse's website)
and
configure/compile that kernel with the firewall options enabled.  Then make
sure
that ipchains is installed, it is a seperate package from the kernel and
should
be on your Suse cd's or, again, download it from the web.  In Redhat the
ipchains binary is in the /sbin directory.  Don't know where the rest of it
goes
as I use RPM to install most packages.

> I'm using kernel 2.2.10 and SuSE 6.2 distribution.
> When I run Kfirewall an error pops up and says it can't find the ipchains.
> The manual says the ipchains  should be in there somewhere under
/proc/net/
> something?
> I don't have a /proc/net directory let alone the something.  So the
ipchains
> aren't configured in the kernel according to the literature.
>
> So I read and read and have no clue on how to get the
ipchain-1.3.9.zippity
> do dah.gz file to do anything let alone jump over into the kernel.
>
> What to do?   1) download a new kernel?
>                          2) insert some ipchains in the existing kernel.
>
>  I checked & have config_ipchains marked "Y"  or enabled when using:
make

--
"Intel giveth and Microsoft Taketh Away" - Gordon Moore