newbie DNS question

Mike Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:37:08 -0700

Yes and no.

You can't specify a true preference rating, but you can use the round-robin
to favor a particular server.

ie:

www	IN	A	192.168.100.1
www	IN	A	192.168.100.2

Will send 2 of every three requests to 192.168.100.1 when www.yourdomain.com
is requested. The downside is that if one of the servers is down, the
browser that gets that entry will not move to the next entry.

At this time, a true load-balancing/fail-over solution requires an
intelligent router or a fail-over solution on the web servers.

Michael J. Sheldon
Internet Applications Developer
Phone: 480.699.1084
http://www.desertraven.com/
PGP Key Available on Request

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Joel
Dudley
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2000 10:51
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: newbie DNS question

I was wondering if there was a way to set up preferences for web sites in
DNS much like you set preferences for mail servers.  Say I have a site
running simultaneously on a Dell poweredge and a backup of it running on a
Compaq proliant.  I always want to use the dell to host the site, but if the
Dell goes down I want DNS to recognize this and begin using the Compaq to
serve the site with the backup.   Is it possible to do this in DNS, or is
there another way to do this.  Maybe with virtual domains in Apache.  Thanks
in advance for help on a newbie question.

- Joel