@home security scans

Pyne, Jeffrey Jeffrey.Pyne@schwab.com
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:08:37 -0800

couple months ago.  It's pretty low volume.  I'll go a couple weeks without
getting any messages, and then I'll get 10 in one day.  I can't for the life
of me remember how I subscribed-- it was either through
majordomo@legba.corp.sun.com or majordomo@ourplace.dhs.org.  The address
from which the messages come is unix-athome@ourplace.dhs.org, though, so it
was probably the latter.  IIRC, the machine from which everyone was talking
about being scanned was called ops-scan, but I don't remember the FQN.
Interestingly, when they were looking for misconfigured proxy and news
servers during the whole UDP threat, it seemed like they would poke port 80,
and, if they got a response, would check port 119.  Maybe they were just
killing 1-1/2 birds with one stone?