making sound files under Linux

Patrick Stoddard wd9ewk@yahoo.com
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:36:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi all.

While I am in the office earning my paycheck (well, I
earn it 24/7 with a pager on), I have a tape recording
I would like to turn into a WAV or MP3 file on my
PC.  I have been goign through the sound-related
HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs and was looking for some
advice from anyone reading on here - especially if
any of you do this (or have done this in the past).

The system I am looking to do this on is a P200
with a SoundBlaster AWE32 using the sound stuff
as supplied by Red Hat, and running Red Hat 6.1
(2.2.12-20) at home.  My other system is an IBM
ThinkPad i1411 with a Yamaha OPL3-SAx sound chip,
using the ALSA 0.4.1i sound drivers.  I am not
sure if I can get the record to work on here, but
I would think that the box at home (with the AWE32)
should work.  What software should I be looking at
to capture the incoming audio and write the file?

If I can end up with a WAV file, I know I can
feed that through BladeEnc and make an MP3.  Since
this is just spoken audio, I would reduce the MP3's
resolution and make it only mono and not stereo.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick