Food for thought

arson smith arsonsmith@hotmail.com
Thu, 09 Mar 2000 19:47:09 GMT

While recompiling the kernal might gain a fraction of
a handfull of extra cpu cycles you most likely will
not knowtice any diffrence in the speed of kde.  by
default kde/gnome/other "desktop environments"  will
put a lot of strain on a lighter weight system.  I
would sugest if you don't have the horse power try a
lighter window manager and don't use a "desktop environment"

some of my suggestions would be: Window Maker or FVMW
there are many others.  I think there was a windowmanagers.org
site that had a list of several.

have fun

Bill Warner