ssh & inetd] (fwd)

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 01:34:24 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Mike Starke wrote:

> I can't thank you enough-> fixed!
> It was the port that wasn't in hosts.allow!
> A simple line like
> sshd 8070: my_laptop
> fixed the problem lickety split.
>
> I suppose the part that threw me off was that I didn't
> know sshd had the wrappers compiled in. I thought that
> since it ran as a deamon, that was bypassed. Then, when
> I ran tcpdchk, and it complained (still does <both the service
> and the port>), I was really thrown off.

Send in a bug report. The command is "bug" :). If you don't have it
installed "apt-get install bug". There's also a GUI based one. Bah! You
answer like 3 or 4 questions and type in a description.

Set the EMAIL variable if the account and machine sending it aren't where
you get mail.

> One good thing came out of this: can do hosts.deny
> hosts.allow with my eyes closed now......spent so much
> time in there the past couple of days
> Keyboard smokes when I do a
> kill -HUP <inetd pid>

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

:)

> I suppose tommarow I'll look into sending Weitse
> a message (or probably Debian)

Send it to Debian. They'll run it upstream with a fix. You'll also get a
notice when the bug gets closed on the Debian side that way.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com                  www.excelco.com #