(no subject)

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 23:18:19 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Jordan Bill-G13271 wrote:

> Boot Help
> I have a PPC (PreP) system, that I can't get to boot from the hard drive. I
> have root on sda1, swap on sda3,and PreP on sda2. When I boot from the
> floppy, after it gets started, I give the boot argument "root=/dev/sda1",
> and it boots right up. The question I have, and it's probably pretty dumb,
> but here it goes anyway. To get it to boot directly from the hard drive do I
> have the open firmware look to the PreP partition or the "/" partition to
> boot?

Bill,

the kernel has the root partition hard coded. If we had a boot-loader you
would be able to put it in a conf file like lilo does. We don't, so you
either have to recompile the kernel and add the appropriate boot time
configuration line, type it in every time you boot or put root in the
default partition, /dev/sda2?.

Where's your kernel partition?

ciao,

der.hans