uninstalling sound in RH 6.0

D Smilay freedom@freedomforall.com
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:14:34 -0700

I have never been able to get the sound to work on my firewall, and since I
hardly use it anyway, I  pulled the sound card out to use elsewhere.  I am
wondering the best way to disable sound on that machine.  Should I just
comment out the lines in conf.modules and rc.sysinit ?

There is a section of 17 lines of code in rc.sysinit that begins:
# load sound modules

I think these are the sound related lines in conf.modules:
alias sound sb
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x240 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3 mpu=0x300 mpu_irq=7

Are there other gotchas?  Or is there an easier way?

David
Never give up! Never surrender!