Problems with Samba

Roger Prutsman rprutsman@yahoo.com
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 18:15:50 -0800 (PST)

I have worked with Samba for a year and a half, and
have learned the hard way many things. Current, RedHat
is sitting on a box at work as a member of our NT
Domain.
One thing to check for: Go to /etc/hosts and check
your first line. It should read:
   127.0.0.1   localhost
If there is anything after it, then delete it all.
Samba will go into a loop if something like
localhost.localdomain is placed after it.
It doesn't matter after that.
Restart samba.
Now, if you are using encrypted passwords, this is how
you do it:
In /etc/smb.conf, enable encrypted passwords. Enable
the /etc/smbpasswd file. Save and exit.
Type 'smbpasswd -a <username>. It will prompt you for
a password. Make sure the user name and password match
what you have in the NT environment. This is
important.
It should add successfully.
Now, restart samba.
On your Win box, logon with that same user id. The
linux box should appear on your net neighborhood. If
it doesn't, check the workgroup names to see if they
match. If you are using WINS, there are areas in
/etc/smb.conf that allow you to leverage that.
Go to start > find > computer and search for the
system. This should find it. If not, try the IP
address. If still no go, you have a prob with your
NIC.
Email or call me if you have further questions. I
would love to gain more experience with this.
Note: This only makes you a part of the workgroup, not
domain. This is the first step to domain membership.