Internet Server Setup

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 17:12:51 -0500

Both Linux and BSD can be used.

Since you need all this functionality you should
look at apache as your web stuff HTML...
DNS is available on both
the same is with Sendmail and Qmail

At this point I would ask following question:

What kind of volume you are expecting??
What kind of exposure you have?? (security)
What else is the server going to be used for other data??
Are you going to go through a firewall??
Are you going to make the DNS publicly available??

If you know the answers to this questions you can apply
this formula:

Ease of use = Linux
	There are a lot of tools and apps
	for this OS it is really stable, and scalable.
	Does SMP.
	Highest Hardware support.
	Most of the new development is for Linux.
	It is not as secure as OpenBSD.
	It is not as scalable as FreeBSD. (IMO)

Heavy Loads = FreeBSD
	Very good on high loads.
	Not as secure as Linux and OpenBSD,
	although it can be made pretty secure with
	good admin.
	Less apps then Linux

Security = OpenBSD
	Most secure. (for the Paranoid)