RAM space vs swap space

arson smith arsonsmith@hotmail.com
Thu, 02 Mar 2000 17:51:56 GMT

The way I understand it Linux likes to fill up all the ram
it can and then use unneeded stuff as free ram and swaps it
out right away.  I run on 128 megs of ram with a win98 vm
set with 64 megs and almost never hit swap.   I don't do much
graphics work but most of the high end graphics work I have
seen have had a minimum of 256 megs ram.  It seems like a lot
to me but I guess when images are 10-30 megs compressed they
really take up a lot of ram when being worked on.

Bill W

ps I really have no idea what I am talking about so please
correct me if I am wrong,  this is just the way I understand
it.