Creating a ramdisk

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 01:35:59 -0700

On Mar 1, 10:06pm, The Wolf wrote:

> Rick Rosinski wrote:
>
> > I am running Seti@home and it works great.  I have find out,
> > however, that it does alot reading from the hard drive.  I want to
> > take the extra stress off of the hard drive, and put everything
> > about seti@home into a RAM disk.  I have no idea on how to create
> > a ram disk.  I want to create a ram disk, mount it as a directory
> > and treat it like any other directory in the file system.  Can
> > somebody help me out?
>
> I do not think this will work.
> Seti downloads the data to be processed
> to your hard drive.  And then it processes
> it.  So if you remove your drive and
> use ramdisk this probably will not work.

It'd work if you had enough memory and were able to create a large
enough RAM disk for Seti to work in.  But I think it's more effective
to just get a pile of memory and let linux do its normal file caching.
(I have 512 MB on one of my machines.  There are times when I'll do a
recursive diff of two large source trees.  It'll churn away for a
while and when it finishes, I'll sometimes see that I forgot to use a
particular diff option and need to redo it.  The second time that I
run the diff is really amazing because the diff finishes almost
immediately due to the files being cached in memory.)

look in Documentation/ramdisk.txt in the kernel sources.  There is
also some information about RAM disks in the Multi-Disk-HOWTO, and the
Loopback-Root-FS mini-HOWTO.  (grep is a wonderful tool.)

Kevin