Setting up a network

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:20:41 -0400

Couple of security issues here:

If you want to have sendmail accept connection from
the internet it is important to keep it on a
separate box.  Possibly in a DMZ.

You most defiantly should have firewall for
your network.

Mandrake has been pronounced as the easiest
distro to break into by securityportal.com
so you may want to consider something else if
you are intending to serve to the internet.

if this box is not going to server anything
to the internet (sendmail working but firewalled
on port 25) the it can be firewall/sendmail/file+print server.

Secure Setup:

I                                DMZ
N    +-------------+        +-------------+
T    |             |        |             |
E ---|  firewall   |--------|  Sendmail   |
R    |             |        |             |
E           |
T           |
            |  Secure Network
     | file/print  |