UCITA update.

Jim farli@wiredglobal.com
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:42:56 -0700

PLUG is very loosely organized, Greg.  As a "legal" entity, we technically
do not exist.  Even given that fact, there is a possibility that PLUG
could, probably in conjunction with a bunch of other "computer literate"
groups, get up a petition to forward to the members of the legislature.
The more names that are on the petition, the better the possibility that
it will be read and considered.

I think the main problem with getting up that sort of petition, however,
is the legalese that is in UCITA.  While we can read the proposal and come
to our own conclusion about its implications, the legal interpretation is
much more valuable.  I know that the big software producers (MS, AOL,
etc.) are using both FUD and generalities to push their agenda, but to be
truly effective, a sound legal argument for the shortcomings of UCITA
would probably sway more legislators, most of whom are involved in the
profession of law in some way.

As an aside, has anyone heard anything about when UCITA might come up
before the AZ legislature?  I certainly have not, but I attribute that to
the stealth tactics that the supporters usually use.