Turning off video power management in X on Mandrake v7.1

Donn Shumway donn@linuxfan.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:55:25 -0700

I recently installed Mandrake v7.1 on a K6II-450, 128Mb RAM, Voodoo3-2000. I
had a few strange occurances during install, but now everything (almost)
seems to be working fine.

The problem is that a few minutes after the screen saver comes on (using
KDE), my monitor goes into a non-sync mode that I assume is some power
saving feature of the video system. I have not experienced this with
previous versions of Mandrake. I checked the BIOS during boot and APM
features are turned off. Is there a setting in the XF86Config file that I
can change to eliminate this problem?

Also, the install seems to recognize my Voodoo3-2000 as a 'Voodoo 3
(Generic). Is this normal for XFree86 v3.3.6?

I looked in the XF86Config file and there is a line in the 'Graphics Device
Section' that reads:

------------------------
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic VGA"
    Chipset "generic"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Voodoo3 (generic)"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    Boardname "Unknown"
*    VideoRam    16384
    * Clock lines

    * Uncomment following option if you see a big white block
    * instead of the cursor!
    *Option    "sw_cursor"

    Option "power_saver"
EndSection

If I comment out the Option "power_saver" will this disable the option?

Thanks for all your assistance.
The Reiser FS is really impressive!

Regards,
Donn Shumway