Caldera, RedHat, Slackware: Choices and Consultation Help needed

KeithSmith compunerd@gci-net.com
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:39:58 -0700

Hi David,

Scroll Down --->

dwacks@interactcommerce.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am investigating rebuilding the web servers and would like your opinions.
> The system would support Apache, PHP3/4, MySQL (access MS-SQL), Mail,
> mailing lists, and have some redundancy built in (clustering/mirroring/etc).
> If you have knowledge or have done this, I  would like some input on the
> following areas:
>
> 1. Which O/S would be the "best" to operate this environment. We are using
> Red Hat 6.1 but find it flaky in several areas. I personally have used other
> slack ware and FreeBSD/Debian however these seem to be seen as toys and not
> commercial o/s. I am currently researching Caldera's e-server and e-desktop.
>
>  1a. Has anyone used the Caldera system?
>  1b. What do you see as being better/worse about it?

I'm using Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on my desktop and
am trying to build a server using Caldera's
eServer 2.3.

The thing I like about the eServer is that it
comes configured with
Apache/MySql/Perl/PHP3/Webmin and several web
related tools.  Caldera says it is more secure.
Ftape is installed if you would like to use it.
It comes configured for quotas and hardware-level
and software-level RAID is compiled into the
kernel.

I don't think it comes with the DBI Perl/MySql
module so you will have to install it if you wish
to use Perl to access MySql. It is a breeze or at
least it was for me and I'm pretty new at this
stuff.

The thing I like about Caldera is that I had
little problem installing and configuring it.

I think most people do not look at Caldera as a
real distro of Linux.  I don't know because I have
limited experience with other distros of Linux.

Keith

--
Jesus is Lord!,
Keith Smith