du -dirs

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:00:51 -0700

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 10:16:21PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> anyone know of a way to get du to give me the cumulative size of the files
> in a dir tree, but to not include the dir sizes?

du -s will tell you the total of all files and directories under cwd.
s means "summary".

> Or how to get the
> cumulative size of the dirs and not include files?

du -s *
but it tells the size of each file in the cwd, as well as total size
of everything under each directory.  So then you'd to filter out the
files from the directories.  Maybe you could use find to find all the
directories without recursing into them, and then run du -s on each.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org