Printer problem

Kevin O'Connor kevin_oconnor.geo@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:05:13 -0700

The Wolf wrote:

> This is the weirdest thing with this printer.
> The jobs are getting queued and (at least I think) sent
> to the printer but nothing gets printed.
>
> Some data:
> Printer:        OkiPage6e
> System:         Mandrake 7.1
>
> Printing system lpd.
>
> symptoms:
>
> $ lpr tst; lpq
> lp is ready and printing
> Rank    Owner   Job     Files                   Total Size
> 1st     root    33      tst                     422 bytes
> $ lpq
> no entries
>
> $ cat /etc/printcap
> #
> # Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are
> doing!
> # Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
> # Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict
> format!
> #
> # This file can be edited with printerdrake or printtool.
> #
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ljet4 300x300 letter {} LaserJet4 Default 1
> lp:\
>    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>    :mx#0:\
>    :sh:\
>    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>    :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
>
> Any ideas??
> --
> The Wolf
>
> "The questions is not if we are paranoid,
> the question is if we are paranoid enough."

One problem that I had with Mandrake 7.0 and printers sounds real
similar to what you are describing. I was trying to use the 'traditional
tools', such as printtool, etc. to set up the printers.

Try out 'Drakeconf', on the KDE desktop, and select the printer
configuration button. It worked for me.
--
Kevin O'Connor

The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits,
but not when it misses.
                -- Francis Bacon