OS choices [was Re: OpenBSD 2.7 is out]

datawolf@ibm.net datawolf@ibm.net
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:32:30 -0700

OTOH, you may learn a lot by using something that's harder to use.
Trial by fire.  I started off with Slackware, myself, mostly by
accident/ignorance.

Another option is to install a bunch of different stuff.  I just got a
new 15 GB drive, and am trying to figure out how many different OS's I
can get on it.  Solaris, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Plan9, BeOS, and Linux are my
choices.  (No Window$ in my house!)  One of the things I definitely want
to do is create a Linux install from scratch, without a distro.  That
should be a learning experience, and a step up from making custom rescue
disks from scratch.

BTW, the new 15GB drive is for machine #4.  #1 is my main workstation,
running RH6.2.  #2 is my firewall.  #3 is the public server, which is in
a DMZ (separate NIC off the firewall).  I like to keep those three
stable, so the new one will be rebuilt constantly.  :-)  Everything
besides the main workstation is fairly dated (two are sub-pentium), but
still quite adequate.

-BVG