Virtual Hosting

Mark Peoples hondaman@mainex1.asu.edu
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:49:16 -0700

Name-based is if you are hosting multiple domains w/1 ip.

You want to do IP-based in this case, as it appears... See:
http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/examples.html#ip

-----Original Message-----
From: James Lee Bell [mailto:jbell@eai-healthcare.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 2:03 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Virtual Hosting

Just a WAG here (you're already doing more with apache than I've been
able to play with ;-), but isn't ServerName what Apache is expecting in
a "Host:" header from the requesting browser as the site name. So I
would think you would want "travelcruise" (assuming your registered the
domain obviously).  Although from reading the docs on name-based virtual
hosts,
http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html

since you're using a different IP address for this virtual host, than
this section is the primary vhost for that IP, and will be returned
regardless of what "host:" header is sent.  It'll only get you into
trouble if you were to put another name-based vhost in with the same IP
address, iow if the server names weren't fixed the travelcruise would
always be returned.

The neat thing about vhosts is that you could have only 1 public IP
address, and support many different sites off the same rig just using
different ServerName variables for each site's VirtualHost section.  At
least I think it's neat, any drawbacks or limitations on this?