OT: Was: RE: chose new ISP, now can dial them but not connect - S OLVED

Mark Peoples hondaman@mainex1.asu.edu
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:54:36 -0700

That's why you hope you don't get a tech named Simon, who has a slight
accent, and whose first question is "What's your username?"  =)

-----Original Message-----
From: arthur dent [mailto:raftman44@telecom-digest.zzn.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 9:38 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: chose new ISP, now can dial them but not connect - SOLVED

> Inficad tech support has one guy who speaks Linux, I'll talk to him today
> and hear what he  has to say. Crossing fingers now....

Well everything checked out - modem dialing, connecting but still no login
so on a whim I
asked the support guy to verify my password - turns out they transposed two
letters when
they set up the account. No wonder I couldn't login! Argh..... armed with my
"new" password I
was in-like-Flynn in under a minute.

The fact that the support guy was able to see my password in-the-clear seems
like a pretty
big security hole - I would have thought they would only store a hash of the
password. Sure
hope they don't have all their customers' passwords in some spreadsheet
file. Hmmmmmm.

Regardless, now I'm up and running. Thanks to all for their help.

raftman