chose new ISP, now can dial them but not connect

arthur dent raftman44@telecom-digest.zzn.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:02:05 -0700

> It's been like 6-8 months since i've had dialup w/Inficad (now on
> DSL)...but, if I remember correctly, the username prompt ended in  > >  and
> the password was  ord:   these are the values i used in my connect scripts,
> which, i probably still have...i'll have to check

If you would please....

Yes, finding out the trick about the leading "P" is very helpful. And finding out
that the login prompt string that Inficad sends out is "> >" not "login:" is
also very helpful.

Last night I was able to get connected by manually entering:

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS2 115200 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ' ' ATD6023853400
CONNECT ' ' sername: Pxxxxxx  word: yyyyyyyy"

but the ppp link didn't start ( doing ifconfig just gave info on default  lo )

Checking /var/log/ppp.log confirmed that I did get connected, at least until my connection
timed out. So it seems there's something else I need to do to get the ppp link going.

On a different front, I did run linuxconf and verified I did indeed get the ppp0 account set up
with the correct info and  my /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf have the right values.

Inficad tech support has one guy who speaks Linux, I'll talk to him today and hear what he
has to say. Crossing fingers now....

Thanks to all so far.

raftman

ZapZone brought to you by WhatUSeek: http://www.whatUseek.com/webmaster/email.html
Get your own Web-Based E-mail Service at http://www.zzn.com.
Get your 100MB FREE Internet storage!  Sign up now -
www.netdrive.com/?O=ZZN4
Get your 100MB FREE Internet storage! Sign up now - www.netdrive.com/?O=ZZN4