Help - X does not start. Error messages cryptic

Rusty Carruth rustyc@user2.inficad.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:29:35 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Mark Berkwitt wrote:

> Upon each following reboot and attempt to boot X:
>
> #startx
> execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect:  errno = 111
> giving up
> xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connecct to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> What does this mean, and what can I do to fix it?

Well, in order to answer that, we'll need the ENTIRE pile of
junk that startx should be giving you.  You will need to
do something like

	startx > /tmp/xlog 2>&1

then when it fails, either send the entire thing here to
the plug list, or just send it to me and if I cannot
figure it out I'll send it to the plug list.  Remember-
replying to this message will almost certainly send your
answer to the plug list - you'll have to send to the
from address in the header (rustyc <at> inficad.com,
probably)

rusty