chose new ISP, now can dial them but not connect

arthur dent raftman44@telecom-digest.zzn.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:18:18 -0700

Hello,

env: RH6.0

I'm trying to switch over to a new ISP  (Inficad). My account has been set up on their end.

I have made the following adjustments on my end:

a) edited /etc/hosts to reflect new ISP's name, primary and secondary DNS entries

b) edited /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0 to reflect new ISP's dialup number,
   my assigned account name and password. This file "listens" for  "ogin:" and "word:"
   before sending the account name and password.

I can call their dialup number and our modems speak but I don't get connected,
instead get a "ppp script failed" message in my /var/log/ppp.log file.

So what might be wrong? Did I forget to make some adjustment on my end, some
file or setting? I don't see any mistakes in my chat-ppp0 file - could it be that my new
ISP does not send the "ogin:" and "word:" strings and instead sends something else?
And if so what settings must I set to "see" exactly what our modems are sending to
catch this so I can adjust my chat-ppp0 file to the correct strings?

No I don't use linuxconf.

TIA,

raftman

PS - for bonus points

Anyone who uses Inficad as their ISP know what their settings are for my sendmail.cf  file to
get my sendmail working?

ZapZone brought to you by WhatUSeek: http://www.whatUseek.com/webmaster/email.html
Get your own Web-Based E-mail Service at http://www.zzn.com.
Get your 100MB FREE Internet storage!  Sign up now -
www.netdrive.com/?O=ZZN4
Get your 100MB FREE Internet storage! Sign up now - www.netdrive.com/?O=ZZN4