Correction to solution to Mdk7.1/XF86Setup problem...

Tom Snell gracchus@inficad.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 05:23:21 -0700

I went thru the same scenario.....amended the mistakes in Cards+ and tried
running XF86Setup again: bloooey...segfaulted again.  Then tried running
Xconfigurator, but it only offered 800x600 and 640x480 resolutions to choose
from....on a 19" Viewsonic with a Matrox Millenium G400 32MB, I think not!
It also would only recognize the Matrox as having 16MB.  Fortunately, I had
backup copies of XF86config files for both XFree86 3.3.6 and 4.0 from a
prior SuSE 6.4 install, so I just popped in the respective versions and it
worked out OK.  I'm concerned about Mandrake in general, though.  These guys
are doing an incredible job on their distros, with a lot of "user-friendly"
innovations in graphical configuration and installation tools, and I really
hope when the actual retail "release" of 7.1 hits the shelves that a lot of
the bugs have been fixed.  The FTP download version is definitely more
"beta" than final: the X Windows faux pas is not the only one I'm running
into.  Setting up my dialup connection, I tested it as root (to forego
permissions tweaking til later), and it dropped the connection when pppd
started.  Checking the permissions on pppd, it showed: "rxS   r..x   r..T"
"T"??  Don't think I've seen this one before, but after two years of running
Linux, I still keep finding obscure things I can't recall ever running into
in my reading.  I will say Mandrake's font manager utility is very
cool....if you have Windoze on a dual-booted box, you have the option to
import your TrueType fonts, and this it did in a snap, and they were all
available to Netscape without any intervention...not bad!  In any case, I'm
just about ready to throw SuSE back on the box so I won't have to send
e-mails to PLUG on my son's Windoze box <lol>!!!

Tom