off topic networking ?

Rod Roark rod@sunsetsystems.com
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:58:13 -0700

Consider the delay inherent in DNS changes if your T1 goes down.  You
can have an emergency facility all set to go and still lose a day of
business, because it takes time for the new IP address to percolate
through the world's name servers.  Not to mention the hassle you might
get from your ISP about the DNS change.

Here's a thought.  Get a $20/month account with some reliable, fully
redundant provider of web hosting services, to host your home page which
in turn has links (or a redirect) to pages in your on-site system.  Also
identify some emergency alternate location for your equipment; a DSL
line at someone's home might do the job.

If the worst happens, you can then run the machine over to the emergency
site, change the links in your home page, and you're back up in an hour
or two.

Anyone taking this advice owes me a beer.  :-)

Regards,

-- Rod