Netscape fix

Art Wagner awagner@uswest.net
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 16:36:52 -0700

--------------5924F90C7260D3B6966054A5

"der.hans" wrote:

> moin, moin,
>
> can we get this up on the web site, so we can point people at it?
>
> Maybe under a FAQ. We could include questions and answers about joining
> the mailing list and meetings and why everyone thinks Cindy has the PLUG
> website URL tatooed on her butt :).
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
> # Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.

I would hope we can fix the "Mail Hanging" problem with the
attached
patched version of "Message.py" from;
"mailman-1.1/Mailman/Messages.py"
Please note my added comments at line 35.
Arthur Wagner
--------------5924F90C7260D3B6966054A5

# Message.py from Mailman-1.1
# Copyright (C) 1998 by the Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

"""Embody incoming and outgoing messages as objects."""

import sys
import string
import time

# Python 1.5's version of rfc822.py is buggy and lacks features we
# depend on -- so we always use the up-to-date version distributed
# with Mailman.
from Mailman.pythonlib import rfc822

# Utility functions 2 of these classes use:
def AddBackNewline(str):
    return str + '\n'

def RemoveNewline(str):
    return str[:-1]

# XXX klm - use the standard lib StringIO module instead of FakeFile.
# If we're trying to create a message object from text, we need to pass
# a file object to rfc822.Message to get it to do its magic.  Well,
# to avoid writing text out to a file, and having it read back in,
# here we define a class that will fool rfc822 into thinking it's a
# non-seekable message.
# The only method rfc822.Message ever calls on a non-seekable file is
# readline.  It doesn't use the optional arg to readline, either.
# In my subclasses, I use the read() method, and might just use readlines()
# someday.
#
# It might be useful to expand this into a full blown fully functional class.

class FakeFile:
    def __init__(self, text):
	self.lines = map(AddBackNewline, string.split(text, '\n'))
	self.curline = 0
	self.lastline = len(self.lines) - 1
    def readline(self):
	if self.curline > self.lastline:
	    return ''
	self.curline = self.curline + 1
	return self.lines[self.curline - 1]
    def read(self):
	startline = self.curline
	self.curline = self.lastline + 1
	return string.join(self.lines[startline:], '')
    def readlines(self):
	startline = self.curline
	self.curline = self.lastline + 1
	return self.lines[startline:]
    def seek(self, pos):
	if pos <> 0:
	  raise ValueError, "FakeFiles can only seek to the beginning."
	self.curline = 0

# We know the message is gonna come in on stdin or from text for our purposes.
class IncomingMessage(rfc822.Message):
    def __init__(self, text=None):
	if not text:
	    rfc822.Message.__init__(self, sys.stdin, 0)
	    self.body = self.fp.read()
	else:
	    rfc822.Message.__init__(self, FakeFile(text), 0)
	    self.body = self.fp.read()
	self.file_count = None

    def readlines(self):
	if self.file_count <> None:
	  x = self.file_count
	  self.file_count = len(self.file_data)
	  return self.file_data[x:]
        return map(RemoveNewline, self.headers) + [''] + \
	       string.split(self.body,'\n')

    def readline(self):
	if self.file_count == None:
	  self.file_count = 0
	  self.file_data = map(RemoveNewline, self.headers) + [''] + \
	       string.split(self.body,'\n')
	if self.file_count >= len(self.file_data):
		return ''
	self.file_count = self.file_count + 1
	return self.file_data[self.file_count-1] + '\n'

# In lines 54 and 57 Reversed "sender" and "from" This fixes the problem
# with Netscape 4.6 through 4.73 postings hanging for Admin. Arthur L. Wagner

    def GetSender(self):
	# Look for a Sender field.
	sender = self.getheader('from')
	if sender:
	    realname, mail_address = self.getaddr('from')
	else:
	    try:
		realname, mail_address = self.getaddr('sender')
	    except:
                real_name = mail_address = None

        # We can't trust that any of the headers really contained an address
        if mail_address and type(mail_address) == type(""):
            return string.lower(mail_address)
        else:
            # The unix from line is all we have left...
            if self.unixfrom:
                return string.lower(string.split(self.unixfrom)[1])

    def GetEnvelopeSender(self):
        #
        # look for unix from line and attain address
        # from it, return None if there is no unix from line
        # this function is used to get the envelope sender
        # when mail is sent to a <listname>-admin address
        #
        if not self.unixfrom:
            return None
        # XXX assumes no whitespace in address
        parts = string.split(self.unixfrom)
        for part in parts:
            #
            # perform minimal check for the address
            #
            if string.find(part, '@') > -1:
                user, host = string.split(part, '@', 1)
                if not user:
                    continue
                if string.count(host, ".") < 1: # doesn't look qualified
                    continue
                return part
        return None

    def GetSenderName(self):
	real_name, mail_addr = self.getaddr('from')
	if not real_name:
	    return self.GetSender()
	return real_name

    def SetHeader(self, name, value, crush_duplicates=1):
        if crush_duplicates:
            self[name] = value
        else:
            # Only bother with the dict
            self.dict[string.lower(name)] = value

# This is a simplistic class.  It could do multi-line headers etc...
# But it doesn't because I don't need that for this app.
class OutgoingMessage:
    def __init__(self, headers=None, body='', sender=None):
        self.cached_headers = {}
	if headers:
	    self.SetHeaders(headers)
	else:
	    self.headers = []
	self.body = body
	self.sender = sender

    def readlines(self):
	if self.file_count <> None:
	  x = self.file_count
	  self.file_count = len(self.file_data)
	  return self.file_data[x:]
        return map(RemoveNewline, self.headers) + [''] + \
	       string.split(self.body,'\n')

    def readline(self):
	if self.file_count == None:
	  self.file_count = 0
	  self.file_data = map(RemoveNewline, self.headers) + [''] + \
	       string.split(self.body,'\n')
	if self.file_count >= len(self.file_data):
		return ''
	self.file_count = self.file_count + 1
	return self.file_data[self.file_count-1] + '\n'

    def SetHeaders(self, headers):
        self.headers = map(AddBackNewline, string.split(headers, '\n'))
        self.CacheHeaders()

    def CacheHeaders(self):
        for header in self.headers:
	    i = string.find(header, ':')
	    self.cached_headers[string.lower(string.strip(header[:i]))
                                ] = header[i+2:]

    def SetHeader(self, header, value, crush_duplicates=1):
	if value[-1] <> '\n':
	    value = value + '\n'
	if crush_duplicates:
	    # Run through the list and make sure header isn't already there.
	    remove_these = []
	    for item in self.headers:
		f = string.find(item, ':')
		if string.lower(item[:f]) == string.lower(header):
		    remove_these.append(item)
	    for item in remove_these:
		self.headers.remove(item)
	    del remove_these
	self.headers.append('%s%s: %s' % (string.upper(header[0]),
					  string.lower(header[1:]),
					  value))
	self.cached_headers[string.lower(header)] = value

    def SetBody(self, body):
	self.body = body

    def AppendToBody(self, text):
	self.body = self.body + text

    def SetSender(self, sender, set_from=1):
        self.sender = sender
	if not self.getheader('from') and set_from:
	    self.SetHeader('from', sender)

    def GetSender(self):
	return self.sender

# Lower case the name to give it the same UI as IncomingMessage
# inherits from rfc822
    def getheader(self, str):
	str = string.lower(str)
	if not self.cached_headers.has_key(str):
	    return None
	return self.cached_headers[str]

    def __delitem__(self, name):
        if not self.getheader(name):
            # XXX this should raise an exception
            return None
        newheaders = []
        name = string.lower(name)
        nlen = len(name)
        for h in self.headers:
            if (len(h) > (nlen+1)
                and h[nlen] == ":"
                and string.lower(h[:nlen]) == name):
                continue
            newheaders.append(h)
        self.headers = newheaders
        self.CacheHeaders()

    # XXX should have a __setitem__

class NewsMessage(IncomingMessage):
    def __init__(self, mail_msg):
	self.fp = mail_msg.fp
	self.fp.seek(0)
	rfc822.Message.__init__(self, self.fp, 0)
	self.body = self.fp.read()
	self.file_count = None

--------------5924F90C7260D3B6966054A5--