Feedback... and munged disks

Rod Roark rod@sunsetsystems.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 08:46:12 -0700

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, William Lindley wrote:
> Two questions...
>
> 1. Each time I boot my notebook computer into Mandrake Linux 7.0, I get a
> horrendous screech because the Microphone input and the Speaker outputs
> are both turned on to maximum.  How can I prevent this?

That would depend on which mixer program is being invoked during
startup.  For example try looking in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to see what's
being used, and then see if there's a man page for it.  Or, try
"rpm -qa | grep -i mix" to see if that turns up a mixer package; then
"rpm -ql package-name" tells you what's in it.

> 2. Under Linux, what program do I run to check the hard disk for bad
> sectors?  (i.e., what's the equivalent of SCANDISK or Norton Utilities)

man fsck
man e2fsck

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software