Why would Maximum Linux magazine have a Linux apps cd with IE 5?

Craig White CraigWhite@AzApple.com
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 17:42:58 -0700

> Rick Rosinski wrote:
> >
> > I just baught Maximum Linux magazine, and it came with a CD-ROM
> devoted to
> > everything Linux   -at least that's what it was sold to be.
> Everything seems
> > Linux on the CD, until I ran into Internet Explorer 5.0.1.  I
> thought "maybe M$
> > finally ported a version of IE to Linux"  But, then I looked into the
> > directory, saw the CAB files, and the EXEs.  I read the Readme, and the
> > requirements were Windows 95... and Windows NT.  Nothing about Linux.
> >
> > Why would they bundle IE, which doesn't run on Linux, with the
> rest of the CD?
> >

> They explain this heresy on page 46, explaining that one can run it
> under Wine.

----
It's about money...Microsoft paid to remind us that we lack a native IE on
the linux platform.

Personally, I think running Wine on linux is about as ugly of a thought as I
could ever imagine but I do think the mistake Apple made with Macintosh
years ago was in not providing a DOS emulator to run the legacy apps. I am
so disappointed that Word Perfect apparently needs Wine to run on linux as
well so that is not an option in my book either.

Of course I am typing this on a computer running Windows 2000 ;-)

Which by the way - a bit off topic so blast me...

Microsoft has issued their security patches this week for Outlook (the
heretofore virus welcome mat)...

<http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/>

I have installed and have been testing before I install on my client's
computers.

Craig